BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"'I've got the key to my castle in the air, but whether I can unlock the door remains to be seen,' observed Jo mysteriously."


Just by the name you should be able to guess the book. That's right, Little Women. I must say it's a much better reread now that I'm older and can appreciate it. But yeah, this quote just kind of struck me as powerful, like TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE, YOU HAVE POTENTIAL SO USE IT! The castle in the air Jo refers to is the perfect place, like her personal mental image of a perfect life. And she's saying she knows the way there, she simply has to persevere and take charge, I guess. I like that idea.
I'm actually almost finished with Little Women, which is good because it's starting to wear on me. After the first half, I was saying to myself, "Geez, this is so CONDESCENDING!" Louisa May Alcott really talks down to her readers, even for a children's book. I guess they didn't care as much back in 1861? Huh. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, but it's starting to wear on me. I forgot that the second part is a lot more slow-moving than the first, too.
The romance plotlines also bug me. (FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THIS, SPOILERS AHEAD!) Just the way Laurie jumps from Jo to Amy... if I were Jo, I would be a little weirded out that Laurie had felt so strongly for me and settled so readily for my sister. Maybe it was meant to be, though. Let's face it, if I was one of the girls, I'd be Jo. I'm such a tomboy, I "speak in slang," and I love to read like her. I think she's the one Louisa modeled herself after. I also love Amy, because she's so... well, not vapid, but superficial until Laurie comes along.
But even though this book is a classic, just a warning for all of you, it's pretty much the book version of the TV series, Full House. Tragedy does strike, but it's dealt with a bit too heartwarmingly, if you get what I'm saying.
Okay, moving on. Winter break is going well so far, even though we're two days in. I'm making myself useful by cleaning out the fridge. Meaning, I eat all the desserts that's left. We have cake balls (AMAZING!), chocolate, candy corn, baklava, and cookies, and there's no way I'm letting it go to waste. It's good stuff, man. Thus my food coma continues.
Another thing my brother and I have amused ourselves with is this completely stupid (yet addicting) game called CUPONK. It's completely annoying, but yet so enthralling when there's nothing else that holds your attention. All it is is a cup and some ping pong balls and you have to bounce the balls into the cup. Sounds easy but it's actually sorta hard, and it's easy to sit there for a half hour getting mad at that danged ball for NOT GOING INTO THE FRICKIN' CUP! *ahem* Sorry. It's just so aggravating when you're trapped indoors because of all the rain and this game winds you up.
The funny part is, it's just a cup and some ping pong balls. If kids today were still original in making up games, we'd be playing this against the wall with a Styrofoam cup and a few old ping pong balls and it would be the same, except we wouldn't get the cool sound effects. It's amazing, the irony you find in kids' toys, eh? It's like how you get a kid a toy and they get just as excited over making a fort out of the box.
The other thing we do to amuse ourselves over this break is listen to Brian Regan. I have to say, he is the BEST stand-up comedian I've ever heard, especially since he's CLEAN. No swearing, no jokes at people's expense, no bad humor, it's just HILARIOUS. Take a look (or technically, listen) for yourself.

1 comments:

Anna Schafer said...

Family, friends and neighbours. Specifically neighbours who intentionally planted their lemon tree right up close to our fence so that we could share their lemons.irving tx locksmith