BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Movies, Anyone?

Being sick makes me want to hole up all day and watch movies, so uh, that's what I've been doing for the past few weeks off and on. I have to think back and remember all the ones I watched... I guess we'll start with the best.

A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT

GOD such a good scary movie. It's not like the movie actually freaked me out, just the history did and the creepy rhyme and especially the end credits, for some reason. The end credits with the music and the black-and-white photos made my skin crawl. But good story line, despite slightly cheesy acting. Anyone else noticing a trend where some of the good scary movies have no-name actors?

AMITYVILLE HORROR

I watched this after A Haunting in Connecticut to make me laugh. And it didn't disappoint. Good for an old-school horror film, but the only scary part was how loud the bad audio got when it was supposed to be frightening. I kind of fell asleep halfway through (hey, it was midnight and it's a 2 1/2 hour movie, I was TIRED) so I didn't see the end, but I'm sure it didn't go well. It was a well worth my time, though; classic horror ROCKS.

BENNY AND JOON

One of Johnny Depp's off-kilter roles! Although knowing him, all his roles are a LITTLE weird at some point. Good movie, in my opinion... kind of cute, and slightly unrealistic, but good acting. And Johnny Depp makes everything better. He is the cure for the common cold.

GROWN UPS

Okay, this scene's from this hilarious part where all the moms are trying to wave over the guy with the awesome body who looks all manly and... they get quite a shock. See, my dad said this would be a WAY stupid comedy. And it was. But we all need one of those every now and then, and this one was pretty stupidly hilarious. It was GREAT! Totally wrong in some parts, but great! Keep an eye out for Rob Schneider's three daughters. Highlight of the movie for me.

I think that's all I watched. Of course, being sick makes me an un-bookworm, which SUCKS. Especially when I'm still swimming even with sinus problems and I had a birthday party to go to and ALL this other stuff going on for NHS and all that good stuff... *deep breath* so I haven't been reading that much. I did finish a really good Sarah Dessen book, though.

It's called Lock and Key (by, of course, Sarah Dessen). It follows Ruby, a burnout who's used to taking care of herself, living in a small house on her own after her mother disappears. Until she's caught, and taken to social services, and then taken in by her estranged sister and her awesome husband. Now instead of going to the crap school and getting high with her flaky best friend, she's going to a prep school and actually has a chance at college. Plus she's found a new friend in the honor-roll student president, Nate.

But why is Nate keeping her at a distance, and what is it that makes Ruby want to blow her second chance? She just can't seem to open up and let everything good in, which may be her own undoing.

This book was different from everything else that I've read by Sarah Dessen in that it's DARKER. All her other heroines are school girls, or girls with familial problems or stuff like that, and they may have best friends who get into trouble, but nothing like Ruby. Ruby isn't exactly a troublemaker, but yes, she drank and smoked pot. Doesn't mean she isn't an awesome person, as you find out in this book.

Well I'm going to go back to my tea and my homework. We just got back from the doctor to make sure whatever the heck is in my lungs isn't an infection, just a virus. So false alarm, I'm fine, I'm just supposed to have a spoonful of honey every once and a while (oh, the suffering) and sleep a lot. Which is good, because I NEED TO SWIM.

Did my first 200 IM and somehow survived it on Thursday, and I can't wait to do another. Which is why I need to get back in the pool!

0 comments: