BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 10, 2009

"Dig -- Dig Everywhere."

Oh. My. Fred and George/Gods/Harry Potter/Jasper/Edward/Emmett. This book is so good every time I read it. It's The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington. Set in the future, it's about this dude Toni V who is excavating a war-torn city that was buried in rubble not too long ago. He finds a diary, and decides to keep it and reads it. It turns out to be *shocker!* the diary of Pelly D. She writes about her life, the politics, and slowly her diary turns to darker topics: the war, discrimination against her race (Galrezi, the weakest race), the water shortages, being forced out of their home, and losing people she knew and saw every day. Toni V becomes more and more horrified at what happens in Pelly D's teenage life. He is dying to know what happens to her, but her diary leaves off abruptly. Then he has to answer the question... if all the Galrezi escaped, where did they go? And did they leave willingly?
This book will leave you completely haunted. And the only clue we have is "Dig-- Dig Everywhere."
I also want to show how her earlier entries in her diary contrast with her later entries... they start off about her superficial life and her extreme popularity and end up showing how Pelly D really feels about how the world has gone wrong.

"From up on the roof even the streets & buildings looked pretty. I cd just make out my house, over by the Plaza. Cool. I thought of all the light-years Colonists had traveled to get to this place, of all the centuries of evolution required to breed me. D*mn, I felt good!
The planet was mine for the taking!
Then Marek T blew the whistle and reminded me that the Gala was actually still happening (I think I could entirely work that out for myself, I mean, shouting to Sassy B over the noise of all the cheering was making me hoarse). Marek T had the nerve to say, would I please step off the winner's podium and get back to my seat?
--Just trying it out for size, I said."
(pg. 16)

"A few more of the older kids are missing from school, I'm sure of it. Does anyone else notice these things? It's probably something to do with the lists on the Big Screen in the main hall. A lot of students pretend to be excited to get the summons to City One-- the Big One. It's all bright lights & loud music. City Five's so-o-o-o-o rustic, they say.
Yeah, we're rustic. We've got grass as green as the stamps on all our hands. You don't have to be a political genius to see what's going on here. The CCTV cameras have quadrupled in the last couple of weeks. Who's watching all the screens?"
(pg. 135)

Remind me to check this book out of the library yet again in a couple months.

0 comments: