BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Mediator: Darkest Hour

Holy crud, this book definitely is the DARKEST HOUR. Of course, it's by Meg Cabot, so you've got the whole super-girly teenage girl main character thing in this book too. There's actually a whole Mediator series, but I was stupid and read the last one first so now I'm stuck reading them all out of order. This is the second one I've read, and I have to say they're great as stand-alone novels too. Darkest Hour is actually book number 4, I think.
Anyway, meet Suze, who can see dead people (No, she's not from an overplayed horror movie). She is actually known as a mediator, someone who helps dead people figure out why they're still on earth instead of living it up in the afterlife and helps them accomplish what they need to. The only other mediator she knows is the principal of her Catholic high school, Father Dominic. Actually, he's the only other mediator she knows THUS FAR... *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge cough cough*
Another thing Suze has going for her that you don't find in a typical teenage girl's life: her boyfriend is a ghost. Jesse de Silva, who died in the 1800's, to be exact. Actually, Jesse seems to be oblivious to the fact that Suze is in love with him, no matter how many hints she keeps dropping. Suze, meanwhile, is supposed to be helping him get to the afterlife, but she's stalling a bit more than she should. Then Jesse's psycho ex-girlfriend from the 1800's shows up (don't they always?) and threatens to kill Suze! Suze only has a little time to figure out how to get rid of Jesse's ex and somehow save her relationship with Jesse.
Then there's the whole Cabot spin on it. Look at this:

"Here's the thing about mediators:
We're hard to kill.
I'm serious. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've been knocked down, dragged, stomped on, punched, kicked, bitten, clawed, whacked on the head, held underwater, shot at and, oh yeah, thrown off roofs.
But have I ever died? Have I ever sustained a life-threatening injury?
No. I've broken bones--plenty of them. I've got scars galore.
But the fact is, whoever--or whatever--created mediators did give us one natural weapon, at least, to use in our fight against the undead. No, it's not superhuman strength, though that would have been handy."
(pg. 172)

*sigh* I love Meg Cabot books. She has a really unique way of writing that I've never seen any other author use, which is what makes her books so special. Even the supernatural books have her flair in them.

0 comments: