BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 28, 2009

Aw, How Cute!

That was pretty much my impression of Smashed Potatoes by Jane G. Martel. This book was a compilation of all these little kids writing recipes. It's so cute because it's in little kid language, like for your typical ingredients list:

"Skabbetti
41 sausages as big as your ear
41 meatballs not as big
41 orange potatoes or tomatoes
41 skabbetti
41 clean oil"
(pg. 1)

Isn't that priceless? The whole book is full of stuff like that.
Another thing I liked was in the recipes, the kids included random information. Like this kid wrote a recipe for plain fish and he says,

"I know a fisherman has to go in a boat all night to catch the fish on his fishin' pole. It sure is a hard job all right."
(pg. 23)

It's just so cute! I got this book at the thrift shop and I don't think it's on the book market... it's like a specialty book that somebody printed as Christmas gifts for a class, like a private publisher or something. But still, it's so cute, I'm glad I was lucky enough to stumble upon this treasure. And I feel bad for whoever lost it, because if they had a kid who wrote something in the book, then they lost a priceless memory.
And it was written in the 70s, too, so all these kids are all grown up and teaching their own kids how to make basketti and plain fish. Amazing how time passes like that. ♠♠♠

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this book was published in the mass market, so don't feel bad that you may have someone's personal copy! it is not still in print, but you can find copies online.
i actually had a copy of this book and remember chuckling to myself at how the little ones perceived what goes into recipes. thanks to you, i was able to get the name and author and i just ordered a copy to give to my daughter (no idea where my original is!)