BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Can You Spot The Recurring Theme?

Another book on being vegetarian. And yes, from the school library. This one is:
Everything You Need To Know About: Being a Vegetarian by Kim Serafin
This one had most of the same information as the last one... what was different was the tone.
By the way the author of the book wrote, you got the feeling that if you had any misconceptions about the whole going-vegetarian process then you were WRONG, WRONG, EVILLY WRONG. HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT ABOUT US VEGHEADS??? etc. It kinda made me feel like all teenagers were supposed to be dumb on the subject of vegetarianism, like, "Thank God we wrote this book for you so you can be healthy now, instead of poisoned by the evil meat industry!" Like everyone is really assuming about vegetarianism (which some are) and that everyone needs to be taught about it (which they do, if only so they can understand and tolerate people with special dietary needs) but also that anyone who isn't vegetarian is going to be pretty unhealthy and we should all start early in life on becoming vegetarian (which they're not, and some of us shouldn't).
Also it made me feel like if I became vegetarian, I'd have to face a lot of adversity to get people to accept how I eat. I don't find that at all... I have a vegetarian friend and my mom's vegan, so there's no problem getting people to accept how I eat and make adjustments. And it makes me feel like life is always going to be hard for me if I make this choice, even though the food's good and it'll be benficial to everyone in the end. But it's not hard, you just have to have a bit of self-control and the will to do it!
In summary, this book was not as good as the last one. Yes, it contained TONS of information, but the underlying messages toward readers were not as helpful. Note to all future writers: if you're going to write a good book, make sure you don't make the reader feel stupid in it. ♠♠

0 comments: