BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Firm by John Grisham

Wow, long book. I started this book last month before my birthday and I finished it after I finished all my library books, so it's been over a month of me reading this dang book! That made it hard to pick it back up again because I forgot all the main characters, so let's recap:
Mitch McDeere is fresh out of law school and still needs to take the bar exam, so he's lucky to get signed on to this huge, well-known law firm in Memphis. Everything seems to be perfect; he passed the bar exam with flying colors, he's got a new car and a big house and even a dog to complete the family picture; he and his wife Abby are even planning on starting a family there. Sure, Mitch has to work long hours at the firm and he has a crapload of work, but it's worth it.
But then everything falls apart. The FBI contacts Mitch and tells him that the firm he's working for is a coverup so the Mafia doesn't have to do their taxes. And if Mitch can get the dirty files to the FBI, they can indict every major player in the Mafia game. But Mitch has discovered that the firm isn't that easy to deceive... they've been bugging his home, following him, and doing everything to keep him in control.
And then there's Mitch's brother in jail, too, who also plays a key role later in the book.
So that's the basic plotline, read for yourself to see if he can pull it off. I gotta say, there are a few things I don't like in general about John Grisham books.
a) They all seem to be about the Mafia.
b) The major action only happens in the last hundred pages or so.
c) There are way too many characters sometimes, and it's hard to figure out who's cop, who's lawyer, who's Mafia, who's victim, and who's random hobo.
But yeah, I still like The Client more. ♠♠

0 comments: